Discover life as a Highland laird at Brodie Castle, before stepping into the Outlander hit TV series at Culloden and Clava Cairns. There’s plenty of time to explore the historic battlefield before seeking out the Loch Ness Monster on a visit to the quieter side of the world famous loch.
- Visit to Brodie Castle
- Walking tour of the historic Culloden Battlefield
- Explore the mysterious Clava Cairns
- Visit Dores Inn with fantastic views of Loch Ness
Join your professional tour guide for a classic tour of the Scottish Highlands. Keeping an eye open for seals on the drive around the Cromarty Firth, we then cross the Moray Firth and head to Brodie Castle. Home to the Brodie family the castle dates to the 1590s but it is thought elements of the structure are even older. It’s a classic Scottish castle, with more than a hint of the TV series Downton Abbey about it.
From there you head to Culloden Battlefield where you will find out more about the real stories behind this last battle on British soil. It’s a reminder of a very bloody period in Scotland’s history. There’s a good visitor centre where you can grab a light lunch before visiting the mysterious Clava Cairns, said to be the inspiration for the opening chapters of the Outlander books.
Your first glimpse of Loch Ness is from high above in the hill and you’ll get the best views from the quiet village of Dores – keep alert in case Nessie is about.
Invergordon Cruise Terminal. Guests will be met at the main gates just a short walk from ship.
For non-cruise tour passengers. This tour is available from any location within Inverness or the surrounding area.
Approximately 7 hours.
£460 – for up to 4 passengers in a large saloon (for comfort we recommend a maximum of 3 passengers)
£500 – for up to 8 passengers in a 9-seater MPV
Things to bring
- Walking shoes
- Rainproof/waterproof coat
- Money-back guarantee for shore excursion guests if their ship fails to visit Invergordon.
- Complimentary fruit, snacks and water.
- Services of a fully qualified expert guide – accredited with the Scottish Tourist Guide Association.
- All transportation, fuel and parking in either a large saloon or a 9-seater MPV.
- Entrance to visitor attractions is not included in the tour price and is payable on the day. Please ask for details about how to book entrance to Brodie Castle or the Culloden Battlefield Visitor Centre in advance
- Lunch and other refreshments
Cancellation charges are outlined in our terms and conditions here. For guests booking this tour as a shore excursion, there is a no quibble money-back guarantee if their cruise ship is unable to visit Invergordon.
There is a fair amount of walking during this tour around the Culloden Battlefield, which can be very exposed during wet or windy weather. Please ensure that you are capable of undertaking this tour before booking, and wear appropriate clothing and walking shoes.